"I could buy designer but this Fashion Nova Fits!" -Cardi B.
The juiciest convo on social media today was the conversation about Fashion Nova knocking off young black designers who don't have the same marketing and production power to compete with them. One designer, Jai Nice of Kloset Envy, called the fast fashion retailer out about ordering an item from her site and sending it back after using it as a sample.
Another young lady, designer of Fashjonn, posted an image and shared her disgust that Fashion Nova didn't even have the audacity to update the styles. They knocked it off verbatim.
As a young black designer myself, I have had my frustrations with Fashion Nova. Well, it's not the brand itself that bothers me. It's the women who KNOW that shopping Fashion Nova doesn't serve them. These women are shopping there because celebs post it and it's the thing to do.
Here are 5 TOP reason's you should NOT shop Fashion Nova:
1. You need quality fabrics to give you full coverage.
2. You like to save money but you shop CLASSIC, FOUNDATIONAL pieces that will last and not tear apart easily.
3. You value amazing customer service.
4. You set trend not follow every quick thing that hits your timeline.
5. Building community and supporting small business owners is your lifestyle, not a hashtag.
If this sounds like you, here's a list of Black Owned brands and boutiques you can support.
Here's what another blogger, previous boutique owner thought about the issue: http://www.theprissyblog.com/2018/07/no-more-fashion-nova.html?showComment=1532723691706#c2791862902125371031
I'd love to hear your comments and feedback below.
Kenya K., Thee Style Icon